Sometimes I wake up in the morning before a potluck that evening and go, “Oh yeah, I’m supposed to make something, right?” I’m young, so I don’t have a signature dish to bring anywhere like my mom and aunts have. This leaves me with the obligation to not only come up with something to bring that evening, but also to be creative and make something that no one else could think of, because I’m a perfectionist in that way.
Sometimes I wake up in the morning and think about bacon. That happened on the same day.
I don’t claim to be the kind of person who cooks fancy things for herself to eat, but that’s precisely why I wanted to go all out on this. Because when I cook for myself, there’s no one to impress, unless you count the people on Facebook who see the photos I upload when I feel particularly proud of something I’ve made. But I mostly count the people who actually eat the food, and I’m particularly easy to please as long as I can just not be hungry. But a group of sorority sisters? I knew I had to step it up and make it count. Not that they wouldn’t love me anyways. But perfectionism.
I don’t know how I came up with the ingredients for this one, besides just thinking of other bacon dishes I’ve enjoyed in the past and how I can make them my own right now. And so, may I present, Bacon, Pear and Goat Cheese Panini Bites.
2 pears (I used Bartlett pears)
1 loaf of whole wheat bread
16 ounces goat cheese
1 package of bacon
1. Peel the pears.
2. Slice the pears thinly.
3. Cook the bacon in the oven, according to the directions on the package. Blot dry with a paper towel when cooked.
4. Spread goat cheese generously on two slices of bread. (It will probably help to melt it a bit in the microwave first.)
5. Pile 2-3 slices of bacon on one slice of bread.
6. Top with pear slices and drizzled honey, to taste.
7. Finish assembling all sandwiches, then toast them in a panini grill at medium heat for 3-4 minutes each.
8. Slice paninis into quarter triangles and serve to hungry potluck attendees who will sing your praises. (True story.)
Makes about 30 panini bites