A few nights ago, my youngest brother asked for Chipotle for dinner like he always does. But the weather outside was frightful, and Mexican food is so delightful, so we decided it couldn’t be too hard to put together our own Chipotle-style meal at home.
Behold, the 7 steps necessary to assemble the most important (at least in my opinion) ingredients to the ultimate do-it-yourself burrito bowl.
Step 1: The Chicken
2 pounds chicken breast
1 packet chipotle-flavored taco seasoning (and however much water the package calls for to prepare with it)
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Dice the chicken breast.
2. Coat with seasoning, water and olive oil.
3. Heat a skillet on medium high, then toss in chicken. Sautée until heated through.
Step 2: The Cilantro-Lime Rice
1 tablespoon butter
2 1/2 cups white rice
2 tablespoons salt
Juice from 1 lime
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
5 cups water
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
2. Cook on high until boiling, then simmer for 15 minutes.
Step 3: The Corn Salsa
1 bag frozen corn
1/4 cup chunky medium salsa
1. Combine corn and salsa in a saucepan.
2. Heat corn until fully cooked.
Step 4: The Black Beans
1 can black beans
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Dash red pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
2. Heat until warm throughout.
Step 5: The Guacamole
3 ripe avocados
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon lime juice (or half of 1 lime)
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Blend with a hand mixer until smooth.
Step 6: The Chips
1 bag tortilla chips
1. Arrange tortilla chips in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
2. Sprinkle lime juice and sea salt all over chips.
3. Warm in a 170ºF oven for 3-4 minutes.
Step 7: The Presentation
Pile it up with some lettuce, cheese, sour cream and salsa verde, and enjoy your own faux Chipotle in the comfort of your house.